Friday, August 12, 2011

Do social pressure and prejudice on atheism reinforce the false trichotomy of theism-agnosticism-atheism?

I agree with the article. I would like to add that the misconception is due to a poor common definition of atheism. Many people and even dictionaries define atheism as a denial of God's existence. Different definitions can lead to different conclusions - agnosticism is a middle ground. When I hear people define Atheism as a denial, I always correct them politely. I explain that a-theism means not a theist. People seem to be open to the explanation. However, there is still pressure not to define themselves as such. There is a very big stigma with that term. Many people also equate atheism with anti-theism, which it is not. So when I openingly say "I'm an atheist" I always add "but I'm respect freedom of religion and very open to the idea that a deity could exist." People tend to appreciate the added information and it make them feel less defensive or attacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment